FRIGIDAIRE and KLEENEX (was ICE BOX)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 1 17:38:19 UTC 2005

I grew up using "tissue" interchangeably with "kleenex."  The stuff on rolls is "toilet paper."

JL

ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: ronbutters at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: FRIGIDAIRE and KLEENEX (was ICE BOX)

the issue is nor just what people say but what they KNOW. IT seems clear to me that most people know that KLEENEX is a brand name and that it is merely used by speakers in a shorthand way to refer to paper tissues (toilet tissue is a compound, by the way). People will think it is weird to say for example, "Puff Kleenex."