rods and poles

paulzjoh paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Tue Mar 1 18:46:50 UTC 2005

In the forties and fifties a child had a bamboo pole, with a line and a
hook,  tied on the end, whereas grownups had bamboo rods with ferrules ,
a reel and a lure.  This was in Ill. and Wis.
The bamboo rods were compound; being made out of split pieces of bamboo
and then joined together with both glue and ferrules. In addition a
handle for the reel was permanently attached.  In my mind a rod is
always an artifact, where a pole is just a long stick