"...And the Cabots talk only to God" (awaiting digitized Boston Globe)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 2 03:21:23 UTC 2005

SIDEWALKS OF AMERICA
edited by B. A. Botkin
Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc.
1954
Pg. ? (cut off--sorry - ed.)From _The Proper Bostonians_, by Cleveland Amory, pp. 13-14, 35. Copyright, 1947, by Cleveland Amory. New York: E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

One small poem which had its genesis in the social aspirations of just two Boston Families has become what is probably the closest thing to a social "folk song" any city ever had. Originally patterned on a toast delivered by an anonymous "Western man" at a Harvard alumni dinner in 1905, it was refined in 1910 by Dr. John Collins Bossidy of Holy Cross to be recited, apparently for all time, as follows:

And this is good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod,
Where the Lowells talk to the Cabots,
And the Cabots talk only to God.

What does Fred Shapiro have?

Why don't I find an early citation on Newspaperarchive?

Why don't I see this in the digitized Harvard _Crimson_?

Just when in March will we get the digitized Boston _Globe_????