Yankees; was Re: FRIGIDAIRE and KLEENEX (was ICE BOX)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 2 05:36:06 UTC 2005

At 10:29 PM -0600 3/1/05, Barbara Need wrote:

>So would a Mayflower descendant born in Tennessee count as a Yankee
>by this narrowest definition? (Mother born in New Jersey; mother's
>father born in Massachusetts; his parents born in Maine.)

Hmm....Yankee bred but not Yankee born.  Mebbe so, on the grounds
that just because a cat has her kittens in the oven it doesn't make
them biscuits.  (As I think they're more likely to say in Tennessee
than in Yankeeland...)