Lexicography Discussion Group at MLA 2006: Call for Papers

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Mar 2 21:06:16 UTC 2005

John Morse asked me to post this to the list:

At the meeting of the Lexicography Discussion Group last
December, I suggested, and it was agreed, that the theme for
December 2005 meeting would be 200 Years of American
Dictionary Making, to recognize the bicentennial of Noah
Webster’s Compendious Dictionary, which was first
published early in 1806.

As I explained at that meeting, I see the Preface to that dictionary
as one of its most significant aspects, as it constitutes a first
attempt to lay out the mission of lexicography in the new country.
Three particular themes in the Preface seem especially to have
stood the test of time: emphasis on analyzing usage over abstract
theory, the recognition and acceptance that language changes,
and the prediction of the worldwide use of English.

Hence, in recognition of the 200th anniversary of this important
document, the Discussion Group seeks papers that provide
examinations of significant persons, documents, or
accomplishments that relate to one of these themes –
or to any other notable aspect of North American dictionary making
in the past 200 years,  Papers noting trends, making predictions,
pointing out unsung heroes, or describing forgotten classics of the
past 200 years of dictionary-making will also be welcome.

If you plan to attend this year’s MLA (in Washington D.C.) and are
interested in presenting a paper at this session, please submit an
abstract to me at jmorse at m-w.com by March 15.   If you would
like to present a paper but can’t make that deadline, please
contact me and we can discuss possible alternatives.

Thank you.

John Morse
Merriam-Webster