"guy" used by teens?

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Mar 3 02:17:22 UTC 2005

stalker at MSU.EDU wrote:

>        This is an interesting sociolinguistic question.  “Teens” probably
>didn’t exist in the 1800s, at least in the sense that we conceive of them,
>especially in the middling to lower classes.  They were young adults,
>members of the workforce, or soon to be.  Between 15 and 17, they generally
>went to work, with adults, as apprentices.   They lived in an adult world as
>adults.

Quite right, of course, which makes writing about them from our vantage
point doubly difficult.

> I would guess that teen language reflected their adult social
>context.  In literature, the most likely place their language would be
>reported, slang, or informal whichever you choose, was rarely represented,
>as far as I know.  One of the few that I know is Austen’s “Northanger
>Abbey,” in which the main female character is a teen, but not overtly
>presented as that category.

And Little Women, though memory fails me as to how old the girls are in
that book.  But yes, a great point;  young adult literature as we define
it, didn't really exist until the very late 19th and early 20th
century.  Which limits the resources a writer like me has for uncovering
teen language from that time period.

All of which makes writing young adult historical fiction a massive
undertaking.  But thanks for the insight, Jim!

Patti!

--

Freeman - And what drives you on, fighting the monster?

Straker - I don't know, something inside me I guess.

Freeman - It's called dedication.

Straker - Pig-headedness would be nearer.