Cheese quote by Charles de Gaulle; Good Health & Bad Memory (Bergman/Schweitzer)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 3 03:34:54 UTC 2005

"HOW CAN YOU GOVERN A COUNTRY WHICH HAS 246 VARIETIES OF CHEESE?"
--Charles De Gaulle.
In AM-NEW YORK, EATING WELL, 2 March 2005, pg. 26.

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations has this from 1962. Various web results have "kinds" for "varieties," and the numbers are 246, 256, and 265. The earliest date seen is 1951.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
The French will only be united under the threat of danger.
Nobody can simply bring together a country that has 265 kinds of
cheese.
- Charles A.J.M de Gaulle, Speech, 1951

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Random Quotations
"How can one be expected to govern a country with 246 kinds of cheese?" -Charles
de Gaulle "Christopher Robin Hood: He steals from the rich and gives to the ...
alt.quotations - Feb 26 1993, 11:23 pm by Andy Whitfield - 6 messages - 6 authors

(GOOGLE)
my abode » New Quotes
I just added a few random quotes from the Quotationary to my quote script at ... a country
that has 256 kinds of cheese?” - Charles de Gaulle, 1964 “What a ...
www.arador.org/archives/2004/04/25/new-quotes/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
ROUND ABOUT with ART RYON; A New Continental Concept
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 5, 1964. p. A24 (2 pages)
Second page:
Quote from Premier Charles de Gaulle: "How can you rule a nation that has 246 kinds of cheese?"

Quotations
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 12, 1967. p. 215 (1 page):
Charles de Gaulle, as quoted in a new book--"The General's Tragedy"--by Jean-Raymond Tournoux: "It is impossible in normal times to rally a nation that has 265 kinds of cheese."

Scale Weighs a Fly's Tongue
HAL BOYLE. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 6, 1968. p. E3 (1 page):
Quotable notables: "How do you expect to govern a country that has 246 different kinds of cheese?"--Gen. Charles de Gaulle, of France.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Frederick Post  Friday, May 20, 1966 Frederick, Maryland
...that has 246 KINDS OF CHEESE" Gen. CHARLES DE GAULLE. Facts to amaze your.....the red carpet for French PresiDEnt CHARLES DE GAULLE in happy appreciation..

"HAPPINESS IS NOTHING MORE THAN GOOD HEALTH AND A BAD MEMORY."
Albert Schweitzer.
In AM-NEW YORK, HEALTH, 2 March 2005, pg. 20.

Not in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations? Did Albert Schweitzer or Ingrid Bergman say this?

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Topsy Turvy Science.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: May 12, 1923. p. 6 (1 page):
The scientists seem bent on reversing all established concepts and ideas pertaining to everyday matters. Comes a London savant who lists good memory as a sign of bad health and bad memory as a symptom of good health--to the confusion of a generation that, from its cradle, has been taught the opposite. "One who remembers everything, especially concerning the past," says the Londoner, "is physically in a bad way."

Word Gems of Others
JOAN WINCHELL. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 3, 1959. p. D4 (1 page):
FAMOUS FOLKS (and their famous sayings)--"Let Western Union carry the messages" (Moss Hart)..."It's always too soon to quit" (Henry Ford)..."Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory" (Dr. Albert Schweitzer)..."Ninety per cent of all millionaires became so by investing in real estate" (Andrew Carnegie).

"ALL HUMAN WISDOM is summed up in two words: wait and hope" (Alexandre Dumas)..."All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing" (Edmund Burke).

UNKNOWN (unfortunately)--"The best way to help yourself is to help others"..."He is strongest who has conquered self"..."Serving others is the way we pay rent for our lease on life"..."The poor we have always with us because the rich go away for the summer and winter."

INDIAN PRAYER--"Grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his mocassins."

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   The Post Standard  Friday, June 05, 1987 Syracuse, New York
...Wish We'd Said Thai Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY. Ingrid Bergman.....to hundreds of people who own cats. GOOD for Them Officials at the Medical..

   Mountain Democrat  Monday, October 26, 1987 Placerville, California
...odds AND frozen ends Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY. Ingrid Bergman.....chart here finds September isn't a GOOD indicator of the total rain year..

   Frederick Post  Tuesday, September 20, 1994 Frederick, Maryland
...A-2. GOOD morning Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY. Ingrid Bergman.....four years he said. "She's not that GOOD of a baker so I jumped in." This..

   Frederick Post  Monday, March 27, 1995 Frederick, Maryland
...A2. GOOD morning Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY. -IngridBergman.....welfare reform proposal AND a host of HEALTH care bills are also on the agenda..

   Wellsboro Gazette  Wednesday, April 10, 1996 Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
...for recyling -Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY. -Ingrid Bergman.....AND shall maintain its system in GOOD repair AND working order Section 8..

   The Columbus Evening Dispatch  Monday, July 21, 1997 Columbus, Ohio
...Thought for today: "Happiness is GOOD HEALTH AND a BAD MEMORY." Bergman.....Lotto: The Kicker: 420038 ALMANAC GOOD morning. Today is Monday, July 21..

   Wellsboro Gazette  Wednesday, October 14, 1998 Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
...is too GOOD to receive. Fuller is GOOD HEALTH AND BAD MEMORY. Ingrid Bergman.....Steven AND Michelle Foster, Jerome AND Jessica Werkheiser; one sister AND..
Pg. 6, col. 5:
--Happiness is goof health and bad memory.
--Ingrid Bergman