A little more on y'all redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 5 01:30:28 UTC 2005

Most of what you say below, Ron, is quite unexceptionable. But surely there was no good linguistic reason for the loss of the OE dual pronoun or a great many other phenomena discussed here, including the various reversals of meaning currently under discussion. (It's not quite parallel, but what about the creation and Tidewater spread of "mongst-ye" as a second-person plural? Truly a strange development.) Once plural "y'all" gets sufficiently lexicalized that speakers no longer think of it as two morphemes, there's little enough to stop them from using it in the singular.

As far as "hot-button issues" are concerned, Mencken long ago observed that the literature on "y'all" was "extensive and filled with bitterness."  When I broached the subject in Tennessee nearly thirty years ago, two or three academic colleagues made clear that they thought the notion of singular "y'all" was not just preposterous, it was an example of dismal Yankee and Hollywood  ignorance - with "arrogance" implied.

The earliest discussion cited by Mencken came in 1907 by Virginian C. Alphonso Smith, reportedly a denier of singular "y'all." In contrast,  Mencken also cites Vance Randolph's assertion in the 1920s that he heard singular "y'all" in the Ozarks on a daily basis.

One reason I checked Mencken was to see whether he makes any sweeping, unsupported claims about the usage of singular "y'all."  He does not.  He agrees with all of us that it accounts for a small percentage of all usages.

The existence of singular "y'all" even in frozen expressions is very significant, because it opens the door for more widespread use in the future.  Although a single respondent's claim to be a user of singular "y'all" proves little about actual usage, the existence of many such claimants reveals their understanding that the second morpheme in "y'all" is indeed no longer morphemic.

One should be cautious, however, about Internet claims by laypersons that "y'all" is singular and "y'alls" is plural.  The posters may be using the term "singular" in an ad hoc way, i.e., "not redundantly plural like 'y'alls'."

Is there a good linguistic reason for the existence of "y'alls" as something of a "superplural"?  I've never heard it myself.

There is both empirical and theoretical evidence for the existence of singular "y'all." The details of its distribution remain murky. What will DARE say about these grammatical matters ?

JL