lanai

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Mar 6 03:18:22 UTC 2005

It depends on what you consider "new." A friend built a lanai onto the
patio of my mother's house in Sacramento, CA, in 1970. The person who
built the lanai was a native of Hawaii. He and my mother use the word
with such ease, correcting me every time that I tried to refer to the
lanai as a "sunporch," that I got the impression that the fact that *I*
had never heard this word before was sheer coincidence. This particular
lanai is, as described below, an enclosed, screened-in, roofed porch
built, in this case, around and over a patio.

-Wilson Gray