Children's folklore from Hoosier Folklore, Midwest Folklore

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Mar 6 04:27:18 UTC 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 10:03 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Children's folklore from Hoosier Folklore, Midwest
> Folklore
> --------
>
> Ben Zimmer writes:
>
> Washington Post, Nov 28, 1915, p. E20
> Adam and Eve and Pinch me all went out to swim -- Adam and Eve were
> drowned -- Who was saved?
> Nobody was likely to forget that one, after it had once been played on
> him.
> -----
> The latter appears in an article that I'm surprised Barry hasn't found
> yet: "Charm of Children's Jingle Games is Mystery of Origin."
>

> (I haven't looked through everything yet! I don't get paid! I do
> parking tickets!--Barry Popik)

> Some stuff from two magazines.
>

> Midwest Folklore, winter 1951, vol. I, no. 4, pg. 244:
> The V-sign, as later used in World-War days, then meant "let's go
> swimming."

Then "then" must be some unspecified pre-WWII date and not 1951?

> Pg. 249:
> Adam and Eve and Pinch-me
> Went down to the river to bathe;
> Adam and Eve were drownded;
> Who was saved?
>
> Pg. 254:
> Here's the church
> And there's the steeple;
> Open it up
> And see the people.
>

> I recall three of these:
>
> Engine, engine, number nine

This is also the name of an R&B song by Wilson Pickett. I don't like
the song, so I've never listened to the words.

> ,
> Running on Chicago time.
>
> Monkey, monkey, bottle of beer,
> How many monkeys have we here?
>
> Nigger, nigger, never die,
> Black face and shiny eye.
>
> Pg. 256:
> Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief,
> Doctor, lawyer, merchant, chief.
>
> Pg. 257:
> What goes up must come down
> Either on heads or on the ground.
> Mary ate jam, Mary ate jelly,
> Mary soon had a pain in the belly.
>
> Innocuous ditties:
>
> I know something, I won't tell:
> Three little niggers in a peanut shell. ("Niggers?" Innocuous? Must be
> 1951--ed.)
>
> Johnny get your gun
> And sword and pistol;
> Johnny get your gun
> And fifteen cents.
>
> Pg. 259:
> Corn-planting chant:
>
> One for the blackbird,
> Two for the crow
> Three for the cutworm,
> And four to grow.
> (_In part a riddle; it meant one kernel for each of the destinies
> mentioned, that is, four in all, not the apparent ten, to a hill._)

In St. Louis, I learned a variant of this as a chant to start a
footrace:

One for the money
Two for the show
Three to make ready
And four to GO!

> Pg. 260:
> Miscellaneous:
>
> Bad Bill from Bunker Hill,
> Never worked [washed] and never will.

In Texas, we said:

Curly-head Bill from the western hill [no other lines]

> [...]
> Don't let the bedbugs bite.
>
> If you getto Heaven before I do,
> Tell them that I'm comin' too.
>
> A peach-tree in the orchard grew,
> 'Tis true!
> Oh! listen to my tale of woe.
>
> When I was single,
> My pockets did jingle,
> And I wish I was single again.
>
> Oh! how the boarders yell,
> Oh! how the beans do smell,
> Oh how the boarders yell--
> Three times a day.
>
> I've been working on the levee
> All the whole long day;
> I'v been workin' on the levee
> Just to pass the time away.
>

> Hoosier Folklore, June 1947, vol. VI, no. 2, pg. 73:
> Contributed by Paul Weer, Indianapolis:
> Cin, Cinn,
> A needle and a pin,
> A skinny and a fatty;
> And that's the way to spell Cincinnati.
>
> Contributed by Paul Weer:
> A bottle and a cork,
> A jug and a fork,
> And that's the way to spell New York.
>

> Hoosier Folklore, September 1948, vol. VII, no. 3, pg. 87:
> 9. _Lemonade_
> Any number may play lemonade. Two captains are chosen, and each
> chooses players, one at a time. The teams line up facing each other.
> Each has a home base. One team takes "it." That team chooses something
> to demonstrate, such as chopping wood or hoeing the garden. The "it"
> team says, "Here we come," and they start walking toward the other
> team. The other team starts walking to meet them. The (Pg. 88--ed.)
> second team says, "Where from?" The first replies, "New York." The
> second asks, "What's your trade?" the first answers, "Lemonade." The
> second says, "Show us something if you are not afraid." (The reply may
> vary. Sometimes it is, "Go to work.") The first team then begins to
> demonstrate; the second team tries to guess what is being done. There
> may be any number of guesses. If the second team guesses right, the
> first team starts to run for the home base. If anyone is tagged by the
> other team, he goes to the other side. It is then time for the second
> team to select something to d!
> emonstrate.
>

> Hoosier Folklore, March 1949, vol. VIII, no. 1, pg. 13:
> If he is unable to find anyone, or wants to end the game, "It" calls:
>
> 1. Allee, allee in free. (Maine.)
> 2. Allee, allee oxen, all in free. (Ind., 2)
> Pg. 14:
> 3. Oley, oley, ocean-free. (Ind.)
> 4. Bee, bee, bumblebee,
> All in free. (Ind.)
>
> Pg. 19:
> F. _Scissors, Paper, Rock_
> At a given signal all players hold out their hands. A fist is a rock,
> two fingers are scissors and the open hand represents paper. The
> formula "Paper covers rock, scissors cut paper and rock dulls
> scissors" is followed. All those who made the sign for paper can slap
> those who made the sign for rock on the wrist, and so on.

In St. Louis, this name of this game is "John Cane Pone" (it sounds
like that, in any case) and there was no penalty for losing other than
"Gotcha!"

> G. _Simple Simon_
> All directions given by the leader which are prefaced with the
> statement "Simple Simon says," must be followed by the players. Other
> instructions must not be followed. Anyone making a mistake must pay a
> forfeit.
> (Ill., 1; Ind., 1; New York, 3.)
> Reference: Gomme, II, 383.
>
> Pg. 21:
> Did you ever see a lassie, a lassie, a lassie
> Did you ever see a lassie do this way and that?
> Pg. 22:
> Do this way, and this way and that?
> Did you ever see a lassie do this way and that?
> Players try to guess what the leader in the center of the ring is
> doing.
> (Ill., 1; Mass. 1; New Jersey, 1.)
>
> _Lemonade_
>
> A. Here we come.
> B. Where from?
> A. New York.
> B. WHat's your trade?
> A. Lemonade.
> B. Get to work.
>
> Group B then tries to guess what Group A is going. Of the 8 variants,
> two have New Orleans instead of New York (Ill., 1, Ind., 1). The last
> line may be replaced by:
> 1. How's it made? (Ind.)
> 2. Give us some. (Ill.)
> 3. Show us some of your hadiwork. (Ind.)
> 4. Go to work and work all day. (Kentucky.)
> The last line may not be given at all (Ind.)
>
> Two versions differ markedly from the rest:
>
> 1. A. Pennsylvania,
>       Bum, bum, bum.
>       Here I come.
>    B. What's your trade?
> Pg. 23:
>    A. Lemonade.
>    B. Get to work. (Miss. and Tenn.)
> 2. A. What's your state?
>    B. New York.
>    A. What's your trade?
>    B. Lemonade. (Ind.)

> Vance and Nancy Clemons, "Ozark Mountain Party Games," JAFL, XLIX
> (1936), 204; Cf. Gomme, II, 305.
>
> Pg. 31:
> Here's the church
> And here's the steeple.
> Open the doors,
> And there are the people. (Ind., 2.)
> The fingers are interlaced and the hands twisted to produce the
> figures.

This is the version that I learned as a kid in Texas

-Wilson Gray