"Earworm"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Mar 6 20:02:02 UTC 2005

        I wrote Professor Kellaris to ask if he really invented "earworm."  He replied as follows:

<<Dear John,

The answer to your question is an unambiguous "no."  Despite the an article
in the NY Times that says the term was "coined by" me, I did not invent (nor
have I ever claimed to invent) the term.  Unfortunately, many media sources
picked up the NYT article and reprinted it.

"Earworms" is a common expression in German.  I merely translated (or rather
transliterated) it into English.  I take no credit for this, although I will
accept credit for "popularizing" the term though my widely-publicized
research.  Thanks for asking!  It allows me to set the record straight.

FYI, after the NYT article, I heard from dozens of irrate German-speaking
people who told me that I did not invent the term.  I took the time to
answer each one individually to set the record straight.

- James>>

        I then asked if I could forward his response to ASD-L, and he replied:

<<John,

ADS?  Yessuh, y'aw be ve'y weh'come ter share mah response wif d'listserv.
(Let me know if you'd like an audio clip of me reading that sentence.  I
spent my youth in Georgia.  Hence I am bi-lingual...)

-James>>

John Baker