"Like water for chocolate" (Mexican proverb) (1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 7 01:24:13 UTC 2005

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
    2001newsgroupie Sep 22 2001, 3:30 pm
    Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films  From: "2001newsgroupie"
<2001newsgroupi... at SPAMhome  Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 22:30:32 GMT  Local: Sat, Sep 22
2001 3:30 pm   Subject: Like Water for Chocolate

I recently saw this movie but I missed the  significance of the title. I
understand that it is a partial quote of a  Mexican proverb. Does  anybody
happen to know the whole proverb?  Thanks.
I don't know what Fred Shapiro has for this Mexican/chocolate proverb. It was
 the title of a 1993 movie.
PURO MEXICANO
\edited by J. Frank Dobie
Austin
Texas Folk-Lore Society Publications--Number XII
1935
Pf, 213: _Ranchero Sayings of the Border_, by Howard D, Wesley
Some other expressions, for most of which there are English analogues, are
_"Comiste gallo?"_ (Did you eat a fighting cock?) and _"como agua para
chocolate"_ (like water for chocolate, which is hot). The first is a clever way  of
asking, "Are you angry?" and corresponds loosely to our saying, "He must have
got up on the wrong side of the bed." The other expression is applied to one
who  is angry.