"snow day" superstitions

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Mar 7 14:30:32 UTC 2005

From:    "Sally O. Donlon" <sod at LOUISIANA.EDU>

: Schools down on the Gulf Coast, at least in the districts near my
: home, have "Blow Days," which are days that may be lost to hurricanes.

The Orange County (Florida) School District uses the much-less evocative
"Bad Weather Day" for the one[1] such day one the calendar (the day before
Thanksgiving, since bad weather seems to come earlier here than further
north). I've never heard any other terms for it here, except for the
shortened form "weather day".

<quick check> Seminole County, just to the north, calls it a "Make-Up Day"
on their calendar--don't know if it gets called something else in casual
speech.

[1] Yeah, we needed a few more this past year.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx