subdaily

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 8 03:13:36 UTC 2005

At 4:15 PM -0500 3/7/05, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>"These days, there are thousands of mailing lists -- mostly free, many
>amateur, some exclusive, some not -- filling inboxes on a subdaily basis."
>-- Wired Magazine, February 2002, page 95: "The In Crowd" by David
>Streitfeld
>
>Not in OED Online or Merriam-Webster Online. The evident meaning is 'more
>frequent than daily', and Google has something like 280 hits which, at a
>quick glance, are all technical from various scientific disciplines
>(biology, astronomy...) and have this meaning.
>
>-- Mark A. Mandel
>[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

A very nice word; at least it's useful, and relatively transparent (I
guessed the meaning from the header).  An early candidate for
Albuquerque, I'd say.  I can imagine my dentist telling me I should
be brushing subdaily.  Or myself realizing that I've been getting
subdaily spam entreaties to...whatever.

Larry