another Tom Kun x-post from Linguist List

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 8 03:19:07 UTC 2005

Actually there were two dialectological queries in this one, although
the "fields" are identified as phonetics/phonology/sociolinguistics.
One is from Kun (whose earlier query I cross-posted a couple of days
ago), the other from someone else.  As usual, any replies should go
to the originators as well as the list.

larry

--- begin forwarded text
LINGUIST List: Vol-16-669. Mon Mar 07 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.669, Qs: Australian A-Lengthening;Pittsburgh/Dallas Accents

1)
Date: 07-Mar-2005
From: Tonio Green < toniogreen at web.de >
Subject: Australian A-Lengthening

2)
Date: 07-Mar-2005
From: Tom Kun < tpk0005 at unt.edu >
Subject: Pittsburgh and Dallas Accents

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:05:49
From: Tonio Green < toniogreen at web.de >

Hello,

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of a "lengthened short a" in
Australian English, in particular an apparent phonemic split between short
[ae] in 'lad', 'can' (modal verb) and [ae:] in 'bad', 'can' (noun)? If
real, this is of course strongly reminiscent of the distinction between lax
and tense [ae] in New York City. J. C. Wells' "Accents of English" only
mentions lengthening of [ae] in monosyllables in Australian, which can be
maintained when class 2 suffixes are added, allowing for pairs like
h[ae]mmer 'mallet-like tool' vs. h[ae:]mmer 'one who hams', but says
nothing about a c[ae]n/c[ae:n] contrast. Are there any Australians here who
have contrasts like c[ae]n/c[ae:n] or l[ae]d/b[ae:d]? Has anything been
published about this?

Thanks in advance!
-- Tonio Green

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics