Updates to OED Science Fiction page

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Mar 9 03:52:11 UTC 2005

ADS-L'ers interested in science fiction may want to be among
the first to know that we have just launched a new version of
the OED's Science Fiction site.

Here's an announcement we wrote up:

For those interested: the Oxford English Dictionary Science
Fiction project at http://www.jessesword.com/sf has been
redesigned and relaunched.

The biggest change is that the OED's database of citations of
SF words is now made (mostly) available via the website.  The
OED does not usually make its work available in this way, but
OED has agreed to publicly open up this part of its database
to acknowledge the great contribution volunteers have made to
this project.

That means that if you contribute a cite, it's viewable by
everyone.  Here's a link with more information about the
citations

http://www.jessesword.com/sf/about_citations

We are also adding quite a few new words: there is an internal
list of pending words we have been maintaining and over the
next few weeks many of those words will be moved to the main
pages.  This link:

http://www.jessesword.com/sf/newest_adds

takes you to a list of the most recent additions.

We hope these changes make the site into more of a general
resource for the vocabulary of SF, instead of just a catalogue
of OED research needs.

Best,

Jesse Sheidlower
OED