COKE in the M aryland

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 12:28:16 UTC 2005

My ongoing monitoring of the slang vocabulary persuades me that "dope," "weed," "pot," "grass," and "reefer," and even "mary jane" never "died," and therefore have never been "revived."

The synonymous "tea" and "gage," however, favorites of jazz musicians in the '40s, are almost certainly moribund. One difference is that "tea" and "gage" did not receive the wide and repeated media coverage enjoyed by the other terms.

Having said that, I would emphasize that the death of slang terms is often highly exaggerated.

JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: COKE in the M aryland

At 5:22 AM -0800 3/8/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>What could be more passe' sounding than "pot" and "weed"? Oh, I
>know ! "Grass."
>
>JL

Isn't "pot" sort of like "cool", a slang item that's evolved into the
standard lexical item for that particular meaning while still
retaining its colloquial status (as opposed to "marijuana")? I guess
(although I didn't know it before David's post and my field research)
"dope" turns out to be more like the other shorter-lived in-group
labels that cycle through. I'm not sure whether "weed" is more like
"pot" and "cool", or (more likely?) a formerly moribund item like
"dope" that has been revived, for whatever reason. Could be there's
a regional flavoring, and perhaps there are movies, TV shows, etc.
that influence usage on this. Now I'm wondering which of the
categories "grass" is in. For me, "weed" sounds dated (= stuck in a
particular past time) in a way that "pot" and "grass" don't, but it's
not just my daughter's datum that informs my knowledge of its
revival. My son was in a dorm (oops, excuse me, residence hall)
during his freshman year (2001) that is officially named Wilmarth
Hall, but which is known informally as "Weedmart".