COKE in the M aryland

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 15:35:00 UTC 2005

So "MJ" is alive and well too.  Google turns up a handful of textual exx. of "bush," marijuana, some of them punning the Prez's name.

JL

James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: James Smith
Subject: Re: COKE in the M aryland

How about "bush"? I learned this word for MJ from a
man who picked up the word (along with "bushhead")
while in the Army between WWI and WWII. It seems with
the current president, this term would naturally
revive.

--- Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> My ongoing monitoring of the slang vocabulary
> persuades me that "dope," "weed," "pot," "grass,"
> and "reefer," and even "mary jane" never "died," and
> therefore have never been "revived."
>
> The synonymous "tea" and "gage," however, favorites
> of jazz musicians in the '40s, are almost certainly
> moribund. One difference is that "tea" and "gage"
> did not receive the wide and repeated media coverage
> enjoyed by the other terms.
>
> Having said that, I would emphasize that the death
> of slang terms is often highly exaggerated.
>
> JL

James D. SMITH |If history teaches anything
South SLC, UT |it is that we will be sued
jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com |whether we act quickly and decisively