Middle English "quek"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 22:40:37 UTC 2005

This URL provides a tuneful take on the dark side of our feathered aquatic "friends":

http://www.harpercollins.com-hc-images-om-JB-SinisterDucks-March

JL

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: Middle English "quek"

You've got 14th century for quack as a verb, so you must have had something from this period. In any case, it does appear that quack is not suspiciously new - unlike oink and, especially, ribbet, which really seems to have come from nowhere. I don't recall ever hearing ribbet as a child in the sixties, but it was dominant by the late seventies.

John Baker