Ribbit! (1965)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Mar 10 01:20:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 05:05:01PM -0800, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
> >I recall it as "Brekekekex brekex brekex", but I can't recall the
> >translator.
>
> i recall it as "Brekekekekex koax koax".  memory is a strange thing.

Yes, that's right. The transliteration from the Perseus edition is:
"brekekekex koax koax".

That version might be somewhere near:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0031;layout=;query=card%3D%238;loc=185

, but their "please use this form to link to the page" widget is
not working properly. Anyway, for those not familiar with the
Perseus project, it's a fantastic thing--Latin and Greek texts
with every word parsed and linked to dictionaries, to statistical
summaries of the word's use in various text, etc.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED