angle of the eye

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Mar 10 07:25:06 UTC 2005

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Thomas Paikeday <thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA>
>Subject:      angle of the eye
>
>This seems common in literature about glaucoma - 4,250 hits in Google. It
>refers to the filtration or drainage angle where the cornea attaches to the
>iris. OED (2002) and the other dictionaries I checked don't have an entry
>for the phrase, nor is it defined under "angle." A full-text search shows
>nine citations. See esp. the 1911 cite under "iridial," adj.
>
>T. M. Paikeday
>www.paikeday.net

As one who has glaucoma, I can assure you that the "angle of the eye"
really is simply the angle formed by the intersection of the iris and
the cornea. The width of this angle defines whether one has
open-angle glaucoma or angle-closure glaucoma. Otherwise, the angle
of the eye is of no consequence. FWIW, I have open-angle glaucoma.

-Wilson Gray