serviette

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Mar 11 15:51:58 UTC 2005

'Seviette' is traditional for 'napkin' in English-speaking Canada and
is still quite common, especially for the paper kind.  Nobody ever
blinks if I ask for a serviette in an eatery in Saskatoon (in the
middle of the Prairies).  This is true even of young servers, so
regardless of which term they themselves use, it's obviously totally
familiar to them.  I also see it in print from time to time and hear
other people of varying ages use the term too.  However, 'napkin' is
probably more common now, across the country as a whole.

As for French use in Canada:  an old (1962) Canadian French-English
dictionary I have, produced by the Lexicographic Research Centre of
the University of Montreal, gives 'table napkin' as the first sense of
Fr. 'serviette'.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East