serviette

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 11 16:04:10 UTC 2005

If y'all go to Jack Chambers' dialect topography site at the
University of Toronto ya'll can see the results of research into just
such questions from across Canada.

http://dialect.topography.chass.utoronto.ca/dt_results.php

For example, in the Golden Horseshoe, "napkin" was preferred by 69%
of the respondents, serviette by only 13%; in the Ottawa Valley, the
figures were 60% to 18% in favor of "napkin."

dInIs

>'Seviette' is traditional for 'napkin' in English-speaking Canada and
>is still quite common, especially for the paper kind.  Nobody ever
>blinks if I ask for a serviette in an eatery in Saskatoon (in the
>middle of the Prairies).  This is true even of young servers, so
>regardless of which term they themselves use, it's obviously totally
>familiar to them.  I also see it in print from time to time and hear
>other people of varying ages use the term too.  However, 'napkin' is
>probably more common now, across the country as a whole.
>
>As for French use in Canada:  an old (1962) Canadian French-English
>dictionary I have, produced by the Lexicographic Research Centre of
>the University of Montreal, gives 'table napkin' as the first sense of
>Fr. 'serviette'.
>
>Victoria
>
>Victoria Neufeldt
>727 9th Street East
>Saskatoon, Sask.
>S7H 0M6
>Canada
>Tel: 306-955-8910

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic,
        Asian and African Languages
Wells Hall A-740
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1027 USA