Collegiate "geek" in the '70s (was Re: Synonymy avoidance)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 11 16:28:36 UTC 2005

At 11:13 AM -0500 3/11/05, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>The "exact synonymy" rule surely applies to varieties, not languages.
>"Ya'll" and "you guys" appear to be exact synonyms in the fiction
>called "English," but they don't co-exist in one brain (except for
>bidialectal speakers), although bidialectal speakers are quick to
>begin to make distinctions, as I do now for "greazy" and "greasy."
>"Greazy" is really greasy, "greasy" is lightly and delicately oiled.

and similarly the classic [veys] (< $200) /[vaz] (> $200) example
(where the latter is often taken to be more costly)

>Remember, there are no such real things as languages.

exactly; this was my (attempted) point with the (admittedly
imperfect) "hella"/"wicked" example earlier in the week

>dInIs (who is happy to admit them as social constructs of enormous importance)

agreed on this too