Collegiate "geek" in the '70s (was Re: Synonymy avoidance)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 12 02:22:14 UTC 2005

HOOTCHIE COOTCHIE--David Shulman told me about his citation for this, from an old song. I had already been familiar with the song. Gerald Cohen can cite Comments on Etymology a little better.

NURD--I think that I posted RPI's "nurd" in the old archives in 1998. I went to RPI. I was an editor of the humor magazine there. I've read every page of every humor magazine. RPI didn't coin "nurd." However, the first thing I was told, in freshman orientation, was that RPI coined "nurd," and that it was really "knurd," or "drunk" spelled backwards.

That first year, the pope died. Then the pope died again. Them my dorm-mates told me that I'd been elected Pope Popik, the first member of the Pope-of-the-month-club. And I said, what happens at the end of the month? And they said, you die and we elect a new one...