"Luck is the residue of design" (1946); Bed-Stuy; SABENA

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 12 04:53:35 UTC 2005

LUCK IS THE RESIDUE OF DESIGN

I saw this again in some newspaper today. The American Heritage Dictionary has "Branch Rickey, lecture title, 1950." I don't know what Fred has.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
   Valley Morning Star  Saturday, February 16, 1946 Harlingen, Texas
...tilhei dnv Rlckpv urscil a' Irntith on RESIDUE OF DESIGN morning Ircturr tit 9.....them Rcgardloji OF the outcome OF Ih it karne though the Girds will OF..

Pg. 5, col. 1:
The other day Rickey discoursed at length on "luck--the residue of design."

SABENA--
Military Rule a Disaster, Says Ex-Naval Chief
AllAfrica.com, Africa - Mar 10, 2005
... 'Sabena' not the Belgian Airline, but it was a late army officer who coined the name. 'Sabena' means such a bloody experience never again in Nigeria.". ...

21 February 1946, The Sporting News, pg. 10, col. 3:
_OVER--THE FENCE_ By DAN DANIEL

_Deviltry Denounced at Dodger Tech_

SCENE--Lecture Hall at the Dodger Institute of Baseball Technology, Sanford, Fla. Dr. Branch Rickey is speaking. Before him sit 155 young players, 30 faculty members, 15 business managers, 15 minor league pilots, four umpires and eight newspapermen.

DR. RICKEY--Our thesis this morning is, "The wages of gin is breath," or "You can't fool the manager."
FIRST RECRUIT--Doctor, I never did like gin. You can have all of mine from now on.
DR. R.--Young man, when I speak of gin, I mean not only the vile distillation of the innocent juniper berry, but the entire category of intoxicating liquors, the entire list of poisoned oncoctions such as rye, bourbon, Scotch, old fashions and new fashions.
FIRST MANAGER (Soot voce)--Methinks the Mahatma knoweth too many names.
SECOND MANAGER--Well, he was a catcher on them old, old Yankees, back in the days when Griffith was their manager, and you could get a shot of rye for 15 cents on the corner of Broadway and 156th street, across the street from the Yank park.
DR. R.--Boys, eschew liquor!
FIFTH ROOKIE--The doctor seems to have a cold.
DR. R.--The man who, with besotted brain, stagger forth to his daily duties is he who, when beaten by the clear-eyed opponent, shouts, "Luck, pure luck. That guy wears horseshoes!"
FIFTEENTH ROOKIE--I am licked, 1 to 6, by a no-hitter in Putrid Falls last July, and that ain't luck, eh?
DR. R.--Luck is the residue of design.
TENTH MANAGER--If that ain't double talk, I never heard none. Luck is what you ain't got when you lose.
(...)
DR. R.--I say once again, that time is o the essence and luck is the residue of design.
(...)
Dr. R--And I want to leave this thought with you--luck is the residue of design.
TENTH MANAGER--Double talk if I ever heard it.
BOB FINCH--Ten o'clock, doctor.
DR. R.--Scram, everybody!

BED-STUY

Bed-Stuy didn't like "die" in its slogan? "Proud of it"--how old is that? They worked two years on this??

(FACTIVA)
BED-STUY DEBUTS 'PROUD' SLOGAN

Hasani Gittens
90 words
New York Post
21
English
(c) 2005 N.Y.P. Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

Bedford-Stuyvesant will no longer be known as the gritty "Do or Die" section of Brooklyn - from now on, it's "Bed-Stuy and Proud of It."

That's the new slogan that was trotted out yesterday during a ceremony at Restoration Plaza on Fulton Street, attended by the likes of local hero Mos Def and other community leaders.

The campaign is the result of nearly two years of market research, focus groups and on-the-street interviews by the Tate Group.

SABENA

SABENA used to mean something else.

(GOOGLE NEWS)