"Jesus Juice" (Michael Jackson trial)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 13 20:34:56 UTC 2005

At 5:39 AM -0800 3/12/05, Tom Dalzell wrote:
>>Her two comrades learned they could drop in, sit on the floor,
>>exchange ideas, and sometimes drink beer or "Jesus juice," their
>>own concoction of grape juice and gin. (29)  Emily Toth. Inside
>>Peyton Place: The Life of Grace Metalious (1981).

Well, I still think MJ's use is more fitting that any of the
competitors mentioned here.  It was wine that Jesus (is reported as
having) turned water into, not grape juice/gin or ethyl alcohol or
various other concoctions, at least in the translations I'm familiar
with.  When I heard the quote during the trial coverage wrap-up on
the ABC World News, my first thought was Euphemism of the Year, here
we come!  If it's been around as long as it appears (for wine,
specifically), I'm not sure, but it's certainly a contenduh.

Larry