Mystery of "mungo" (from Van Lingle Mungo?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 14 16:28:29 UTC 2005

>>>I think this may answer the question. If the term is "mungo," and if it's
>>>from the 1930s, and if it's from Brooklyn, all signs point to a
>>>spread from the
>>>Brooklyn Dodger pitcher Van Lingle Mungo. Was he known for throwing garbage
>>>pitches?
>>He started out as a fastball pitcher, but evidently threw out his arm
>>and tried (unsuccessfully) to come back as a junkballer.  See
>>http://www.thedeadballera.com/BadBoneMungo.html
>>
>>larry
>
>And then there's the one-hit wonder of the ca. late '60's-early
>'70's, Mungo Jerry.
>
>-Wilson Gray

and wasn't that name borrowed from the eponymous feline ("I might
mention Mungojerrie/I might mention Griddlebone") from T. S. Eliot
"Old Possum's Book of Cats" (who later made it onto the Broadway
stage)?

larry