adjective "Christian" [but WOT-WG]

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Mar 14 20:06:23 UTC 2005

Back in the day, I used to have as a colleague one "Dave." He and I
got along quite well. Given that this was the mid-'Fifties and that
Dave was white guy in his sixties, whereas I was a black kid in his
teens, socially, he was a far-left-wing liberal. When one of our
bosses angered him, he turned to the Bible for sustenance, using the
Old-testament bit about "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"
as the basis of his fantasies of avenging himself against the
offending superior.

Finally, one day, as Dave began one his rants - "You know what the
Bible says, etc." - I said to him, "Dave, the Bible also says,
"Vengeance is *mine*, sayeth the Lord. *I* shall repay."

Dave was stunned, looking at me as though I had lost my mind.
Finally, he was able to blurt out, "But, but, that's in the NEW
Testament!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that belief in the
New Testament was one of the things that made Christians Christians,
whatever their denomination.

FTR, I'm a no-longer-practicing, Jesuit-educated adherent of The One
True Faith, i.e. Catholicism. (Lest anyone misunderstand, I use the
phrase, "The One True Faith," facetiously. It is/was? a Jesuitic
cliche.) I converted as a child as soon as I became aware of the fact
that one can hear Mass in as few as fifteen minutes, one day a week
as opposed to the Protestant regimen of five hours of Sunday services
and four more hours during the rest of the week. And we weren't even
Baptists, just Methodists.

-Wilson