Swats was RE: adjective "Christian"

Katy Miller kmiller at BIB-ARCH.ORG
Mon Mar 14 21:53:04 UTC 2005

OH, these posts have brought back some awful, painful memories.
Absolutely no way on God's green earth can those things be called
Christian.

I am (well my buttocks are) all too familiar with that "footlong piece
of wood [that] hung on every classroom wall like a symbol...." of
sadism.

And it wasn't a foot long either, that's way too short to inflict the
kind of damage that's intended. Damned baseball coach/American history
teacher drilled holes in his, said it made it more aerodynamic. It had
to be two feet long.

We called 'em "swats." And almost never as a verb, just a noun. "You're
gonna get swats" or "How many swats you get for that?" I don't remember
any specific word for the paddle itself.

Katy

Oh and ps. This was in HIGH SCHOOL. Seminole, TX circa 1986.

---