competing deodorants

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 15 15:05:13 UTC 2005

At 12:49 AM -0500 3/15/05, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>WINNING IS THE BEST DEODORANT--82 Google hits,
Wonder what the relative timeline is between that one and another
familiar over-the-counter product.  On Mike & Mike, ESPN radio's
morning show, one of the hosts, Mike Greenberg, just cited Faye
Vincent (former commissioner of baseball) for the adage "Sunlight is
the best disinfectant".  This was quoted in the context of the
upcoming Congressional investigation of steroid use in major league
baseball, but I'm sure the line has been around for decades in
political contexts.  (It's not specifically sports-related the way
the deodorant-of-victory one is, and I expect it's a lot older.)
Interesting division of labor between deodorants and disinfectants:

(google hits)
WINNING IS THE BEST DEODORANT  92
WINNING IS THE BEST DISINFECTANT  0
SUNLIGHT IS THE BEST DISINFECTANT 4,540