"Go with the flow" (1971); "Hit the ball and run like hell" (1965)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 16 08:14:51 UTC 2005

GO WITH THE FLOW
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_Display  Ad 28 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=144581812&SrchMode=1&sid=44&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=111095
6393&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post, Times Herald  (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Mar 31,
1971. p. A15 (1 page) :
_go with the flow...do the current thing!_
(Hecht Co. ad--ed.)
The ProQuest digitization of the Los Angeles Times was added to!
,,,
1969, baby! Actually, just September and October 1969! Maybe not even that
much!
No "slam dunk." No "point guard." No "granola."
Not even a "go with the flow."
"JUST HIT THE BALL AND RUN LIKE HELL"
Paul Dickson's BASEBALL'S GREATEST QUOTATIONS has a 1988 USA Today citation
by Paul Hemphill, giving credit to a Class D manager.
(PROUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_Sports  of The Times; Sandy the Magnificent _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=95911511&SrchMode=1&sid=63&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VN
ame=HNP&TS=1110960475&clientId=65882)
By ARTHUR  DALEY. New York Times (1857-Current file). New  York, N.Y.: Oct
12, 1965. p. 61 (1 page) :
"It's great to be back on the beam again," said Maury Wills, the Dodger
captain. "We were dreadful during those two games in Minnesota. Maybe we were
overconfident, but I do know we were unsettled by the short fences and never did
get to play our game--hit the ball and run like hell."
_Architect  of Victory; Richard Robert Luigi Aurelio _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=79434071&SrchMode=1&sid=63&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQ
T=309&VName=HNP&TS=1110960064&clientId=65882)
By LAWRENCE  VAN GELDER. New York Times (1857-Current file).  New York, N.Y.:
Nov 6, 1969. p. 36 (1 page) :
In his spare time, Mr. Aurelio enjoys fishing and a game of baseball, when
the opportunity presents itself. "He likes to hit the ball," said Mrs. Aurelio,
 "and run like hell."

_Just  Hit the Ball and Run Like Hell_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=111727502&SrchMode=1&sid=63&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP
&TS=1110959465&clientId=65882)
By GILBERT  MILLSTEIN. New York Times (1857-Current file).  New York, N.Y.:
Jul 22, 1979. p. BR3 (1 page) :
_LONG GONE_
By Paul Hemphill.
(...)
If I tell you that "Long Gone" is about Class D baseball in Florida in the
1950's, I have told you nothing at all.
(...)
"Baseball's a simple game. All you got to do is hit the ball and run like
hell."
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=MSL63G2EslCKID/6NLMW2pBoZql69NyrXsRAmPjaeem4SF6cHMliVUIF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, September 15,
1968 _Hammond,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hammond+hit+the+ball+and+run+like+hell)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:indiana+hit+the+ball+and+run+like+hell)      ...on Page
3D trying to  HIT THE BALL AND RUN LIKE  HELL. A thrill? Every day is
a.....taking THE BALL on  a 60-yard scoring RUN on which be leaped over one  player..