Gook (???) (1912) -- Goo-goo

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Mar 16 19:51:34 UTC 2005

Thanks, Doug. So, "gook" rather coincides with "wog." In my youth,
Aussie friends applied the latter term to anyone who wasn't
sufficiently fair-skinned as to merit inclusion into the WASPocracy,
yet not so dark-skinned as to be considered a nigger. Hence, "wog"
was applied to Southern Europeans of all nationalities, Asians,
Indian Indians, etc., unless such a person's speech revealed him to
be an American. In that case, all bets were off.

-Wilson Gray