Is there such a phenomenon as "undercorrection/hypocorrection?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Mar 16 22:58:02 UTC 2005

Yes, they both were. It was the "Judge Joe Brown" show, which is a
clone of "Judge Judy," if you're not familiar with it. Anyway, Judge
Joe has absolutely no sympathy for the common street thug and has
made that very clear. My impression was that the speaker, a common
street thug, suddenly became aware of the difference between his
low-class BE and the judge's middle-class BE. And, knowing that Judge
Joe Brown is not the kind of brother that you can conversate with, he
decided that it would behoove him to talk as "proper" as he could.
But you really have to have had practice in order to switch to
another dialect in mid-utterance, unless you're doing it all the
time. I think our guy meant to shift "aks" to "ast" or even "asted,"
but it was already too late and he wound up "down-shifting," so to
speak, from the "proper" "whose" to "who" by accident.