T.I.P. acronym--1895

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 19 05:38:06 UTC 2005

At 12:23 AM -0500 3/19/05, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:43:23 -0500, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
>
>>>Maybe, but it's surprising to me that they were even thinking
>>>acronymically as early as 1895.
>>
>>I asked a related question here some time back about a very dubious
>>acronym much earlier (not in English but mentioned in English sources):
>>
>>http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0204A&L=ads-l&P=R912
>>
>>If there are backronyms (bogus acronyms) can true acronyms be far
>>behind?
>
>The acronymic interpretation of "hep" as the Crusader's cry "Hierosolyma
>est perdita" ("Jerusalem is lost") is an interesting case -- the OED dates
>it to 1839, twenty years after the "Hep! Hep! riots" against Jews in
>Hamburg, Frankfurt, and other German cities.

Well, there were some actual acronyms around before then in religious
contexts.  The oldest I know of is the famous "I-CH-TH-Y-S" for Jesus
Christ/fish, immortalized on bumpers to this day.  Then there are all
those Hebrew ones, KATZ, RAMBAM, TANACH, etc.  (I'm sure Mark knows
this stuff better than I do.)  So the "HEP" story is not
inconceivable, at least as something plausibly believed at the time,
if not actually true.

larry