"Nee" = or; or perhaps

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 19 12:30:32 UTC 2005

I salute you.  I discovered the quote while looking for "peola" cites.  I have about fewer than half a dozen, beginning in 1942.

Must a "peola" be a female?

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Nee" = or; or perhaps

The word is definitely "Peola" (approx. [piol@] w/stress on the /o/)
and not "Pecola." It's quite rare. The only person that I've ever
heard speak it is my mother, who's now 93. And this is the only time
I've seen it written. Unless it's in Majors, in which case I've
simply forgotten whatever he had to say.

And yes, Jon. I do understand that the above is beside the point of
your post. ;-) I'm just running it up the flagpole to se whether
anyone salutes,

-Wilson