"social interaction"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Mar 22 23:30:15 UTC 2005

        The term was in use in the social sciences prior to that time, but had not yet achieved popularity.  Scientists have used the term at least since 1920:

        <<But to argue for the possibility of scientific investigation in the field of social interaction, and to contend for a directive function of intelligence in this domain is bootless labor, and does too great honor to the skeptic and the dogmatist.>>

E.L. Talbert, "The Role of Investigation in the Making of a Municipal University," The Scientific Monthly, vol. 11, no. 2, at 151, 157 (Aug. 1920).

        Accordingly to Westlaw, the phrase (including "social interactions") has been used in 1,133 legal opinions.  The earliest was in 1959, the next earliest in 1969.

        I would say that you are right to be leary of "social interaction" as a phrase used in the 1930s, unless there is some scientific connection.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Kathy Seal
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "social interaction"

Can anybody help me find the time when "social interaction" became a phrase used in English? My impression is that it's a relatively recent locution but a friend wants to use it in a novel taking place in the 1930s.
Any help is appreciated!
Kathy

KATHY SEAL
Coauthor, Motivated Minds: Raising Children to Love Learning (Holt, 2001)