the preposition "bar"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 23 01:43:07 UTC 2005

At 5:27 PM -0800 3/22/05, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>from a handout at a stanford linguistics presentation 3/22/05:
>
>... can therefore function as potential antecedents (bar other
>mitigating conditions)...
>
>-----
>
>i would have written "barring".  outside of "bar none" and the
>quotation "it was all over bar the shouting"

Is this really extant in the U.S.?  I gather it's normal in the UK,
Australia, et al., but I've only ever heard "all over but the
shouting" in these parts.  Prepositional "bar" is pretty much
restricted in the varieties of English with which I'm intimate to the
"bar none" construction, although I'm unlikely to have hung out in
the appropriate circles to have been exposed to the horse-betting
slang.   I agree that "barring" would be unremarkable in all these
contexts, including that in the handout.

Larry