snowglobes? snowdomes?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Mar 23 04:21:16 UTC 2005

>We have a column by Unca Cecil over at Straight Dope and some comments
>from members
>there.  http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=307759
>
>My question is:  What were these things commonly called in the 1900-1950
>period, and are they known as something else in the last 20 years.

I can't remember what word (if any) we used for those in my childhood. I
asked two local persons born since 1985, and "snowglobe" was the immediate
and unequivocal answer from both. I asked what it was called if it wasn't
spherical but rather like a dome: they said it was a snowglobe anyway.

Quick lookaround shows "snowglobe", "snowdome", "snowstorm toy", and (maybe
only one instance) "shake-em-up snow scene" from 1975. I haven't found
anything much before 1970, so I'm probably missing the earlier word(s).

-- Doug Wilson