assassinate = murder (anyone)

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Wed Mar 23 13:47:17 UTC 2005

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      assassinate = murder (anyone)
>
>"Fox & Friends" (Fox News Channel), about five minutes ago:
>
>"This kid in Minnesota...assassinated all those students."

I musta missed some reports, if they stated that the kid had used hashish.

OTOH, perhaps the statements that he was a 'goth' qualify him as a member
of a secret society of evil-doers, with implications of substance abuse...

Then again, if he was severely delusional, he mighta thought that all of
his victims were just figments of his imagination, mere characters in his
personal psychodrama.  In which case, could the Fox commentator be implying
that this was 'character assassination'?

Michael McKernan