re-ogling

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 24 00:32:25 UTC 2005

>Sue Grafton is from Louisville, and she speaks (or would have spoken,
>I ain't seen her for years)  standard English like me and said /ogl/,
>
>dInIs

Yeah, but her detective/narrator, Kinsey Millhone, is from Santa
Barbara...er, Santa Teresa, or technically from nearby Lompoc, if
memory serves.  And who knows where the woman who reads the audio
book is from (but it doesn't sound like Kentucky to me).  On the
other hand, I lived in California for years and never noticed an
/agl/ there.  Is that regionalized to the upper Midwest, do we know?
Is there an isogloss in the house?  I can't remember the last time
dInIs and I came out on the same side of one, when phonological
variants were involved...

Larry