MTA (More Trouble Ahead) nicknames

Thu Mar 24 04:48:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:38:54 EST, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>I just entered this on my "Big Apple" page. "More Trouble Ahead" is in
>today's New York Post. Does anyone know another other "MTA" (Metropolitan
>Transit Authority) nicknames?
>23 March 2005, New York <i>Post</i>, pg. 32 editorial:

Barry notes a few others on his "Big Apple" page
<http://barrypopik.com/article/648/mta-metrocard>:

-----
(Google Groups)
Odd NYCTA quote from NY Times Tuesday October 6, 1998
... I have seen the trend spread over into supervision now. Kenny NYCTA
Motorman MTA....
Moving Trash Around ....Moving Thugs Around ....More Trouble Ahead
nyc.transit – Oct 30 1998, 2:42 am by KRH1955 – 9 messages – 9 authors
-----

>From a 1996 thread on the newsgroup misc.transport.urban-transit (the
first three actually refer to the MTA of Los Angeles):

Making Transit Awful
More Trouble Awaits
Many Tardy Arrivals
My! Timetable! Amazed!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/misc.transport.urban-transit/browse_frm/thread/188a5597ff32eb99/8d5a240f58ada03d

And along the lines of "Moing Thugs Around", the same thread mentions two
(racist) nicknames playing on other public transit initialisms:

MARTA "Metro Atlanta Regional Transit Authority" ->
      "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta"

NFT "Niagara Frontier Transit" ->
    "Nigger Freight Train"

Those two nicknames also appear in Nicholas Howe's 1989 article "Rewriting
initialisms: folk derivations and linguistic riddles" _Journal of American
Folklore_ 102(404):171-182.  On JSTOR:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0021-8715%28198904%2F06%29102%3A404%3C171%3ARIFDAL%3E2.0.CO%3B2-Z

Surprisingly, Howe doesn't have any reinterpretations of "MTA".  But he
does have a good selection of automotive nicknames:

-----
BMW
Big Money Wasted
Break My Windows