Local meaning Hawaiian

Sat Mar 26 10:05:17 UTC 2005

In an article in the Seattle Sun (March 9 to April 6 2005, Vol. 9, Iss. No.
3) entitled "What's Cookin'", the word "local" is used twice to mean
Hawaiian. (I also should note that the spelling "Hawai'ian" is used, backed
up by 38,700 hits on Google, but is this pronunciation really used?)

"Some of the more authentically Hawai'ian dishes on Clara's menu are grilled
short ribs (market price) which in the islands is known as Korean kolbi
[sic: kalbi]; and chicken cutlet ($10), a boneless, breaded chicken called
katsu in Hawai'i. Locals also eat pork prepared in the same way known as
tonkatsu."

The only sensible interpretation of "local" that I can see is "Hawaaiian
person" rather than a Seattle local.

It appears again in the same article, this time as an adjective:

"Clara's offers no poi or local favorite spam musobi [sic: musubi] either."

Benjamin Barrett