"Prophesize" Not in the Dictionaries

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Mar 26 20:37:02 UTC 2005

>>Maybe this is just an error for "prophesy"?
>>
>>I don't see the adjective "principle" in the dictionaries at a glance,
>>although it is used freely by otherwise respectable writers. I don't see
>>the popular word "wierd" (>1 million hits) either.
>Not quite the same, since the former involves a morphological
>variant, the latter two only orthographic ones.

Not the best analogies, I agree. Perhaps "conversate" for "converse" (v.)
would be more comparable (20,000 supposed hits by naive Google).

Anyway, many 'errors' or 'nonstandard variants' (of various types), even
very common ones and even ones which have been in use for a long time, are
excluded from the dictionaries. Any question of whether or not this is
'good' I'll leave to R. H. Fiske et al.

-- Doug Wilson