Americandialect.com

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Mar 30 06:11:19 UTC 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 12:27 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Americandialect.com
> --------
>
> =20

Yeah, "Fixin' to" is a fine old general Southernism. I have a friend
who says "skreek, skraighk," etc. for "street, straight," etc. The
funny thing is that he doesn't believe that he talks like that. If i
say anything to him about it, he says, "Man, I don't say no 'skreek'! I
say 'street'!" And he does, *then.* But, of course, he always does say
"skreek," as long as he's not monitoring. Until you call his attention
to it. Which causes him to monitor. I've tried getting him on tape.
Unfortunately, that also causes him to monitor.

-Wilson