hair band

Wed Mar 30 15:25:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:15:45 -0500, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:58:57 -0800, Jonathan Lighter
><wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>
>>This kind of hair band is missing from OED :
>>
>>1993  Pantera   (Usenet: alt.rock-n-roll.metal ) (May 6) : Pantera...had
>>the image of a "hair band" but their music was still much heavier than
>>the typical glam stuff.
>>
>>Thousands of Google hits.  A 'hair band" is a metal band of a kind
>>popular in the 1980s whose male musicians wore very long and carefully
>>styled hair, and typically sang songs in harmony.
>
>Nexis takes it back to 1991 (makes sense-- that's the year that the "hair
>bands" began losing out to the alternative/grunge movement)...

Whoops, make that 1989 on Usenet:

-----
I find the Radar Love cover to be pointless. I find "when the children
cry" to be retched, cliche, drivel. Chock up another cliche, money making,
hair band.
rec.music.misc - Oct 25 1989, 10:15 pm by Aaron Kremer
-----
The RUMORS I heard at the "hair band" record stores in Seattle were that
Nancy and Ann kicked him out due to personality conflicts.
rec.music.misc - Nov 2 1989, 9:23 pm by Peter Craft
-----
I used to own the last two Heart tapes but trashed them because they have
just become another hair band which is sad.
rec.music.misc - Nov 6 1989, 10:52 am by send
-----

--Ben Zimmer