MTA (More Trouble Ahead) nicknames

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Mar 31 03:05:47 UTC 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
> Subject:      Re: MTA (More Trouble Ahead) nicknames
> --------
>
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:09:08PM -0500, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>
>>  Davis, even in the town of Davis, is known for only two
>> things; its Department of Viticulture and Oenology and
>> fielding a powerhouse Division II football team.
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Surely this is an oxymoron (FSVO "oxymoron")?
>
> Jesse Sheidlower
> OED

I think it depends upon whether one has a more-or-less-emotional
attachment to an institution that had, until he retired, the winningest
coach in the history of Division II football and that, just a couple of
years ago, became the winningest school in the history of Division II
football, overtaking and surpassing the record formerly held by the
vaunted gridiron minions of mighty West Chester (PA) State University.

BTW, Davis is just a relatively few miles west along I-80 from Reno,
Nevada, "The Biggest Little City in The World."

-Wilson