Slam Dunk (1969)

Sun May 1 04:47:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:46:06 -0400, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>21 December 1969, Los Angeles Times, WEST magazine, pg. 19, col. 3:
>
>For the first time, West's three sons, David, 8, Michael, 7, and Mark,
>6, are beginning to show an interest in sports. But they prefer
>Chamberlain to their father because he can slam dunk a basketball "and
>Dad can't." Their appreciation for a man who can shoot better than just
>about anyone, dribble superbly, pass effectively and play great defense
>may come later.

Sorry to do this to you, Barry, but here's one from Feb. '69:

-----
1969 _Chicago Tribune_ 10 Feb C1/1 With West missing his 14th game of the
year and the 109th of his oft-injured career, Wilt slam-dunked and used
his fall-away shot to hit for 17 in each of the first two periods and 22
in the crucial third quarter when Los Angeles outscored the Suns, 39 to
18.
-----

And here's an interesting variant, "slam-bang dunk":

-----
1969 _Los Angeles Times_ 29 May C3/1 The NCAA outlawed the stuff or
slam-bang dunk following Alcindor's sophomore season.
-----

--Ben Zimmer