Cold Feet

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 4 02:04:32 UTC 2005

Thanks to Grant Barrett for this...Is he working on the "business words" book that I should be working on, I wonder??
OT MISC:
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?: Spaghetti Western on Reade Street. I was told that the restaurant is "older than both of us," but I think it's from the 1970s. I actually had vegetarian lasagna, not spaghetti. OK lunch spot...I had some chocolates at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company (a chain) on Chambers Street. The "Killer Chocolate" is to die for.
COMP USA MUST DIE: I got my computer back, and the cursor would just freeze, with an error message that it was in an infinite loop. I brought it back today, a few days later. I was told that I'd had it for a few days, it was "OK" when it left the place, so I'd have to cough up $140 for a repair and wait another 2+ weeks. So I said look, this thing doesn't work, and I paid $300 and I've waited weeks, and you fix it right away or I'm going to kill you...

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Tue, 3 May 2005 17:38:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Cold Feet

On May 3, 2005, at 09:56, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
> Are George Thompson and Grant Barrett working on new books?

Grant Barrett is.

> When will the old ADS-L archives become available?

Give Google a couple of days to index the 25,000+ index files and then
you should be able to search them here:

http://www.americandialect.org/index.php/amerdial/
1992_1999_emaillist_archive/

I looked at a number of scripts and indexers to use to search the old
archives and in the end realized that nothing topped Google for ease
and familiarity. All email addresses have been obfuscated to stop
spammers' address-scavenging spiders.

There are still many duplicates in the archives, but as there is no
easy way to cull them, except by hand, and that's clearly taking too
long for some people (*cough* Barry), I've uploaded them as they are.

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at americandialect.org
American Dialect Society webmaster