Navy slang (1927)

Fri May 6 18:15:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005 13:49:42 -0400, Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM> wrote:

>Could it possibly have been "buoys?"    I don't mean that you mistyped
>it, just that it's possible the writer made a mistake.

Ah, now that would make a little more sense, especially since the other
term  given for girls is "blimps".  Both are inanimate objects that are
associated with, uh, buoyancy.

Then again, "buoy" would still be confusing for anyone who pronounced it
as a near-homonym of "boy" (see last month's discussion).  I'm also
reminded of the lavatory signs for nautically themed restaurants: "Buoys"
and "Gulls".

--Ben Zimmer

[...]
>>>For instance, the cooks are "grease balls;" the kitchen workers
>>>"scullery maids;" yeomen are "pen pushers;" an old sailor is a
>>>"grandpaw;" a young sailor a "chicken;" girls are "boys" or "blimps;"
[...]